02 March 2011

The incredulity of Saint Thomas by Caravaggio

For those who believe, no proof is necessary. For those who don't believe, no proof is possible.


This picture was painted by Caravaggio around 1601 and it is currently located at Sanssouci of Potsdam, Germany.

Thomas was one of Jesus' twelve apostles. When Jesus shows himself to his followers after his resurrection, Thomas refuses to believe that this man really is his master. He demands evidence. Jesus shows him the wound caused by a Roman soldier's lance before his crucifixion. He invites Thomas to put his finger on it. Caravaggio shows that Thomas soon casts aside all doubt.

This is one of my favourite paintings, it carries a very interesting message that not too many would be able to understand ... it is not a painting just to be seen ... you have to feel it ... and I feel it so much that every time I look at it this voice inside of me shouts I BELIEVE, I BELIEVE !

 "Truth will always be truth, regardless of the lack of understanding, disbelief or ignorance."

No comments: